Oct 15, 2014

My Financial Journey


I was 6 years old when Nanay opened me an account with Prudential Bank. I still remember the 1x1 picture I had that time was in black and white. I had no idea why the guy at the green table asked for my name to be written on the white cardboard. Life went on then came emergencies. I was in high school when I needed to withdraw my savings to help pay our electricity bills, for Nanay's medicine when she was hospitalized, school projects and so many more. Every time I went to the bank to make withdrawals, that same guy at the green table would say " Baby ka pa sa picture mo dito."  He was referring to my old photo on the passbook. It had been just an old memory of my savings account because before I graduated high school, there was nothing left in my fund. My passbook got two punched holes that simply meant " CLOSED ACCOUNT". Sad it may seem but that was life then. 


When I went to college, I still never had any savings. My allowance had always been an ATM affair. I will wait for my monthly remittances from Nanay. My monthly allowance was Php1000 only. This was just enough to cover food, toiletries and school projects. Luckily, studying in Baguio City that time was not expensive. Food was never a problem back then since Baguio City had been a haven for fresh and inexpensive vegetables. I also remembered buying smoked fish worth 8 pieces for Php11 and my food for the week was solved. I also stayed in the university's bed spaced dormitory for 4 years. Rent fee was included in my tuition fee. Rent fee that time was Php2,500 for 5 months (Php500 per month). We were 24 bed spacers in a room with 5 rooms in each floor. The dormitory had 7 floors. So can you just imagine how I managed to handle different personalities. By the way, renting in a boarding house in the city with no surety in water and electricity supply costed from Php1500 to Php3500 depending on the type of boarding house or set-up you had plus take in consideration the transportation costs. I also had the chance to be employed as a student assistance in our library. That entitled  me for a full scholarship in a semester (rent , laboratories and tuition). It really helped us financially but I needed to quit because I was so tired going to my classes. It was that semester when I was dropped off from the Dean's list. Maybe it was true that you cannot have it all at the same time. But if only I tried to work on my schedule that time and less of negative emotions, maybe I should had survived. I  was just scared back then not to graduate on time. 

It was a blessing that when I graduated from college, I immediately got a job. Being a novice, I just accepted earning just the minimum. Little by little, I tried to save money out of my small salary. Since I was still staying with my parents, everything seemed manageable. Aside from a savings account, I also had a life insurance with Prudential Plans. I am not a materialistic person. I am not fond of buying makeup, bags or shoes. I also don't eat in fancy restos. When I met my husband, we both started selling cellphone load to friends. That became our fund for our wedding. Our wedding was not cheap, we had our dream wedding actually. Proud to say that when we got married, we don't have any payable or loans to mind. Same also happened when I got pregnant. Fund for the clothes, medicines and childbirth were all set. We had nothing to worry. But there came a time  when I became so maluho with my son's things. I bought clothes and toys online that the biggest amount I spent in one transaction was Php3500 and for me it was happiness. Seeing my son enjoying the things I bought him meant happiness to me. But emergencies came. Dear hubby's company closed plus Prudential Plans crashed down. Vaccinations of my son seemed to be never-ending. And I forgot that we are still renting an apartment. We never stayed in my in-law's or Nanay's because as they say " Isa lang dapat and reyna sa palasyo." I tried opening a crafting business selling party souvenirs. At first, all went well but when I grew tired because I was the only one doing all the orders. I stopped. Dear Hubby already got employed. We're both employed but still with the growing expenses of our family, budgeting is still hard. 

Things happen for a reason. One should learn from them. I learned mine. When I read Francisco Colayco's Pera Mo Palaguin Mo, I started looking for other readings, videos and seminars about personal finance management. I'm so enticed with it. I assessed where am I now. What is our family's financial status? Little by little I tried to study and put into practice ways on how to save, get rid of unnecessary expenses and invest. Employed as a logistic planner for 8 years and even coordinated weddings but I failed to plan and manage my own finances. I believe setting goals is very important, it is not just that you simply go on in a journey. It is always best to have an itinerary. Dear Hubby and I are still average earners but happy to say that we already started our ways to financial freedom. It takes a lot of prayers and self-discipline but we work hand-in-hand as a team. Personal finance like marriage is a lifetime commitment.

Live.Learn.Invest. 




2 comments:

  1. Love ur post sis! Nakakatuwa no, we have different experiences, different situation in life, different struggles pero pare-pareho tayo ng goals. We all have lessons in life to look back.
    The good thing is we are all taking a step by step journey towards financial freedom.
    Wow, ang aga mo palang nagkaroon ng bank account --ako 20 years old na ng makapag-open ng sarili kong account :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intersting! I guess it's safe to say that your first money memory was that time when you went to open bank account at such a young age with your nanay? Very cool! They said you got to analyze what's your first money memory and track it from there to the present to see what's your money personality.

    ReplyDelete