Nov 6, 2014

Panda Eyes


To work in a graveyard shift has been a way of life (I guess) for me. I can freely do some errands like go to the market for fresh food, pay utility bills and attend my son’s school activities or simply help him out with his homeworks without the thought of taking (and exhausting all) leaves from work. At the time of this writing, my son's homework were completed and we already finished our lunch. And in few minutes, I will be Sleeping Beauty. ;P 


However, sleeping when the sun is out smiling and working actively when it’s dark really gives havoc to my sleeping schedule most specially on some un-fortuitous events .  Just like yesterday, the electricity distribution company in our place scheduled a maintenance.  They replaced all old wooden electric posts with concrete ones. Unfortunately if there's a schedule, it obviously meant brownout. The brownout lasted for only 2 hours in some areas but in our neighborhood it took forever! Brownout in our area was from 7am till 530pm. No choice, I had to move my son to my in-law's since they already had power. Back at home, I pushed myself to bed at around 3pm. My eyes were wide shut yet my senses were still actively sensing annoying things around me. I felt the heat steaming out of our bed, still heard my neighbor’s endless chitchats regarding Two Wives and some girls singing like they’re on Singing Bee. Torture! The best way that I thought of without using my phone (and to avoid draining its battery) was to read a book. I'll then share what it was on my future posts. Thank God, reading was effective. In few minutes then came Sleeping Beauty. I woke up at around 730pm, ready to work.

At the office (since we all looked like pandas with dark circles), the team began to discuss how difficult it is to work nigh shifts. We are neither compensated nor benefited as big as those of NCR's night shift employees like call center agents (non-voice and voice). The company is still following the provincial rateNonetheless, we (strongly believe) are skilled and the assets (frontliners) of the company. If not to have raise on our pays, might as well have an additional hazard pay or amend our group insurance that is not only limited to accidents.  We plan to raise the concern (again) to the higher management before this year ends. We are not "rebels" and we don't even have a labor union group. We just want to raise our concerns diplomatically. I am just being calm here but my tired brain really says, fight for our rights! 

This job was an answered prayer when I was still on a job hunt. Truly, I am grateful  for this blessing. Despite of that, it is becoming weary night by night to face such bad effects to health plus the feeling of being underpaid. I am still young and not yet ready to retire. Thinking here of not yet completing our financial goals. I'm so driven to achieve it although source of fund is little. Positivity! I still pray that may Father God lead me to a stable source of income whether a new job or a business.  Good luck and God bless to me and to the team. 

2 comments:

  1. Grabe, hindi ko kaya talaga ang graveyard shift, naranasan ko na rin mag sunod sunod na overnight sa trabaho, lutang talaga ako sa umaga --di ko kayang matulog, iba pa rin ang tulog sa gabi. Dapat talaga may additional incentives kayo kc may epekto talaga sa health yan. My brother is working in a callcenter too for almost 8 yrs pero sa technical support, nakakalula ang sweldo 10x yata kesa sa akin but I've been seeing him lately -sobrang taba na, I think hindi na talaga sya healthy. Kelangan pa rin talaga aware tayo sa health natin. Wish you Good Luck sis, & God Bless!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sis. Tumaba na nga rin ako :(

    ReplyDelete