Nov 16, 2014

When My Son Learns Most

Last week, I promised my son that I'll cook carbonara for him this weekend. Since it's payday, I set a budget for his request. But I had to bring him with me to the supermarket 'coz Dear Hubby wasn't available yesterday morning to look after him. Then I thought, it will also be a good opportunity for him to put into practice his lessons in kindergarten about reading, place value and greater than / less than. Before we left, I reminded him of our rule: no buying of toys since our primary purpose was just to buy groceries. Of course as a kid who's still into toys, " Ma, tingin lang po ng toys. Promise no buying.

When we were already at the supermarket, I asked him to get the stuffs that we needed. After getting all the items on our grocery list, I asked him to get any snack he wants worth P100. He then went to the cold section. He was looking both at Bear Brand Probiotic Drink Strawberry Flavor and Yakult. I said which one do you like? As to my surprise, he chose Yakult over the other. I said why. " Ma, tignan mo oh. Ang Yakult P39.25 tapos ang Bear Brand P50. Mas mahal pala ang Bear Brand kaya itong Yakult na lang." At his age of 5, he most probably would chose Bear Brand because of the strawberry flavor more than the original flavor. "Mahal ko, ayaw mo ba ng strawberry flavor? " Ok lang po pero good for tummy din naman ang Yakult." Sorry Bear Brand but it was my son's own decision this time. Lol! He must have known that 50 is greater than 39.25. I helped him calculate his budget. I told him that he already got a P39.25 worth of item,he still has P60.75 remaining budget out of the P100. Addition to him is still a work in progress. So after this, he went back to the bread section. This time, he was checking on both the assorted cupcakes in 10s vs the fluffy mamon in 6s. I just remained quite beside him, thinking what will be his preference. He then chose the assorted cupcakes. I got curious and asked him why. " Ma, mas marami po ang 10 keysa sa 6. Atsaka mas mahal un mamon. Natikman ko naman na sila, pareho naman po masarap." I checked on the items, P44.80 for the assorted cupcakes in 10s  and P52 for the mamon in 6s. He was right. 10 is greater than 6 and 44.80 is lesser than 52. Well, that's his decision.

After the grocery, he reminded me to go to the toy store. But again, no buying of toys. We have no budget for new toys this payday I reminded him. So off he went. At the toy store, they were on sale. 10-20% off on selected items. I sat on the waiting area at the middle of the store 2 to 3 steps away from a rack where some kids were gathered. It was the BigHero 6.When my son saw it, his eyes glowed in delight. He was checking on the action figure whose chest when pressed, the eyes lighted up and the right arm swung up and down. I observed him from the distance and thought naku baka mangulit magpabili. Then 2 sales attendants went to him. The girl said to him, " Baby, pabili mo na yan sa Mama mo. Ganda di ba? " My son didn't answer, his attention to the action figure. Then the boy offered him a much bigger one and said, " Eto baby , mas maganda mas malaki." Though a bit nervous at my seat, I just kept quite. I just let my son handle the situation- either he'll approach me to buy it or we'll go home. " Sabihin mo na sa Mama mo, saan ba Mama mo? Pabili mo na to." Then my son answered, " Hindi po ngayon. Nagtitingin lang po ako. Mahal po kasi , P1299 at P899." Then my son put down the 2 action figures, left the rack, left the 2 attendants and went back to me. " Ma, mahal pa ung BigHero6 pero maganda pala."  I asked him, " Anak, un sa alkansya mo di ba para sa Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles un. BigHero6 na lang ba?" The he said, " Pag-iisipan ko pa Ma. I-check ko muna magkano na pera ko."

With so much gladness to my son, " Anak, anong flavor ng ice cream gusto mo? Treat ko sa iyo :)


2 comments:

  1. This is such a great post!

    I hope my own son (he's 1.5 y.o. now) will be as financially mature as yours in the future.

    I will be backreading your parenting posts, since you are now my new parenting idol :)

    ReplyDelete