Nov 14, 2014

To Work Abroad Is Not For Me


Two months ago, I bumped into someone on my way to my son’s school. He was my seatmate in second year high school. I hardly recognized him ‘coz he gained much weight. His nephew also studies in the same school where my son is. Actually, I’m a bit hesitant to stop for a small talk ‘coz of the feeling that he might offer me a MLM business. I am off with networking since selling is not my forte plus I had a bad experience before with a MLM “guru”. I politely declined an offer but on the same night after the meet-up, I saw that person’s post at FB- “ dami talaga mga taong walang pangarap, ayaw umasenso…basta ako, GO POWER!” I have no time to deal with such egocentric person. That person’s red car really didn’t add appeal either. A sick kind of marketing blah-blah for me. If  that person’s mission was to help uplift the economic status of an average worker like me then thank you. However, it’s  unprofessional to say any dead duck remarks if you got a NO.  

My former seatmate and I had the usual  kamustahan while waiting for the end of the classes. He said that he still lives with his mother ,elder sister and elder sister's family.  He finished a nursing degree in college but works as a marketing officer in a trading company for almost 8 years now. He's happy to know that I already have a family of my own while he's still single and in a long distance relationship with his girlfriend of 4 years.  Then he mentioned about his plans to work abroad mainly to help his family and to save funds for his wedding. His girlfriend works in Malaysia as a hotel receptionist. I wished him good luck in fulfilling his dreams. Then he mentioned something that got rid of my puyat. “Akala ko abroad ka. Cream of the crop kayo nila XXX,XXX...(honor students of our batch). Bakit hindi ka nagpush mag-abroad? Sayang naman. I just simply told him that it's my choice not to. I had many priorities back then more than the idea of working abroad. I didn't elaborate much what those priorities were.

Last Monday, we saw each other again at the school and had a little chitchat. He opened up again his plan to work abroad. However, he's quite uncertain this time. He got promoted as a team leader and said he's loving his work. So what's your plan then? I asked. " Pinag-iisipan ko pa rin nga. Gusto rin kasi ng gf ko makapag-abroad ako. Mahirap kasi buhay dito. Ikaw, galing-galing mo. Baket hindi ka nag-abroad? Sayang naman." Again, I just simply told him that it's my choice not to. " Kung may opportunity ka ngayon, go ka ba?" The answer is still no but if I can bring my whole family with me then why not. Then the bell rang, uwian na.

More Pinoys than ever are working abroad for the sake of their families. A smart career move that gives 10x or more pay higher than what anyone could get here in our country. It's really a good way to uplift one's economic condition; however, it's not the best way for me. To be physically there for your loved ones still matters. You'll never feel guilty nor feel sad whenever you misses important events in their lives. Relationships require quality time. I enjoy the company of my parents, their laughters, their kisses - these my OFW sister is missing. I see my son's milestones. My friendship with Dear Hubby becomes stronger. I will not trade them for diamonds and gold. 

I really admire those OFWs who make huge sacrifices by being away for long years from their families just to give all the best. Yet, it saddens me to know that there are some whose families live a luxurious life. Hindi ba sila nahihiya sa nagtatrabaho para sa kanila then pag-uwi ng OFW susumbatan nilang walang naibigay na panahon para sa kanila? Then kapag wala ng pera, pinapabalik na kagad abroad. I always see this with our neighbors. Life is not perfect. Money is not everything. Here is a very inspiring story of Mike Bolos. He has a very helpful advice for OFWs to save and invest their earnings well so that when they return home they would not have to start from zero.


Walang pangarap?Mahina ang loob. I really get irritated whenever people correlate my choice of not working abroad with no dreams in life. If they fear that I'll die poor, they're wrong. I have goals in life and I strongly believe that I can fulfill them together with my family. I  maybe earning little, but I am making the most out of it. Pinagyayaman ang kakaunting meron. And besides, Philippines is a growing economy. Everyday there is hope. 

So if old seatmate will ask me again " Baket hindi ka mag-abroad? Sayang naman." I will tell him over and over that it's my choice not to. At walang akong pinaghihinayangan sa desisyon kong ito. 

3 comments:

  1. Yah, you are so right. Working abroad is best if single ka. My sis-in-law wants to work abroad but I kept telling her that if she can find a way to bring her family with her, then go for it. But if hindi, sa pilipinas ka mag stay. No amount of money can replace the time and joy you spent/feel when you see your daughters grow right before your eyes, I told her.

    Your old schoolmate doesn't see the big potential our country has. As what my mentor once told me, "Philippines is like 1960 USA. So mauch room to grow"

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel good today when I read this post, akala ko ako lang ang may ganyang mentality-I actually feel bad na pinalampas ko ang opportunity working abroad but then its my choice to work here kahit maliit ang sahod. Last year I had a chat with my highschool classmate thru facebook she's working in US & she mentioned 85% of our classmates are working abroad feeling ko napag-iwanan ako, but when I read ur post -naka relate talaga ako, tnx a lot sis :) go for the goals na lang tayo :)

    PS. pareho tayo ayoko rin ng networking, kaya iwas din ako sa ganyan :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember my eldest sister asked kung gusto ko daw ba mag abroad. My answer then is, Bata pa naman ako... tsaka marami pa kong opportunities na nakikita sa Pilipinas.

    Don't worry about what others will tell you. You are in control naman of what happens in your life. :) Just Pray and Believe that everything works out for a reason.

    ReplyDelete